CHOOSE THE RIGHT SHOE MODEL
All models of Newton running shoes offer the forefoot cushioning benefits of our patented Newton Action/Reaction Technologyâ„¢. Newton offers both Stability and Neutral models; your foot type will identify which model is right for you.
- Stability: protection from midfoot to late-stage pronation â€” the tendency for your foot to collapse inward at the midfoot or forefoot when striking or leaving the ground
- Neutral: neutral support for normal to high-arched foot types
Determine your Running Gait
To determine which model is right for you stand in front of a mirror with bare feet, shoulder width apart and bend your knees. Watch your medial ankle bones as you bend and straighten your knees.
If your ankle bones stay in a neutral position and do not drop to the inside,or if your ankle rolls slightly to the outside you have under-pronation or supination. If your ankle drops to the inside, or if you have a low arch (flat feet) you have over-pronation.
You can also determine your running gait from the wear on an old pair of running shoes (not walking shoes, which show your walking gait.) To determine your running gait:
- Place the shoes side by side on an elevated surface like a table, with the toes pointing towards you.
- Look at the shoes from eye level.
- If either or both lean noticeably to one side, or are obviously worn, then you have either:
- Over-pronation if they lean inward. (The Stability models are best for you.)
- Under-pronation if they lean outward. (The Neutral models are best for you.)
Typically you will have an under or overpronation on at least one foot. This is completely normal and is exhibited by about 80% of all runners. If you are one of the fortunate 20% then you have a neutral running gait.
Models for Under-Pronation or Supination
The following models offer maximum cushioning and a neutral ride for those with under-pronation or supination:
- Men's Shoes
- Women's Shoes
Models for Over-Pronation
The following models offer more medial stability for those with over-pronation or flat feet.